The California History Section works with an independent photo lab to provide photographic prints, but orders are placed through the library. If you would like to have a print of an image identified as belonging to the California History Section, please send (mail, fax or e-mail) a copy of the image to us, along with any known filing elements and/or negative numbers. Also, when placing an order, please specify the print size that you want, whether you need rush service, and whether you seek permission to use at this time. We also need your billing/shipping address and phone/fax number.
Black and white glossy resin-coated (RC) prints:
|Size||Negative Available||No Negative Available *|
|4 x 5"||$ 8.80||$23.80|
|5 x 7"||$ 8.80||$23.80|
|8 x 10"||$13.00||$28.00|
|11 x 14"||$28.00||$42.00|
Larger sizes are available (up to 4' x 8'). Please contact the photographer for a quote.
Copy negatives only:*
|4 x 5"||$15.00|
|8 x 10"||$40.00|
|4 x 5" transparencies||$65.00|
* When a patron orders prints, negatives, or transparencies of materials for which the State Library does not own a negative, a negative will be made and an $15.00 fee will be charged to the patron. The negative will be retained by the State Library.
- Orders with originals 18 x 22" to 20 x 24" will be charged an additional $15.00 set-up fee.
- Orders with originals larger than 20 x 24" will be charged an additional $35.00 set-up fee.
- Originals larger than 24 x 36" will need to be reviewed by the photographer for size approval.
8.5% California sales tax will be added to orders.
Shipping and handling charges are additional, and include a $5 pick up fee per order. Items larger than 11 x 14" will require added shipping charges. Items will be shipped via U.S. Postal Service unless the patron requests otherwise. All such fees will be determined by the photo lab and will be billed to the patron.
The photographer will contact the patron regarding the total cost of the order within 1-2 business days after the order has been picked up from the State Library (pick-ups are on a weekly basis). Prepayment to the photographer is required for all orders. The State Library cannot accept payment for orders. All negotiations concerning the method of payment, mode of shipment, etc. will be initiated and handled by the photo lab and NOT the California History Section.
- Normal: 6 weeks
- Rush: 3 weeks
- Rush charge: Double the total job bill
Contact the California History Section with inquiries regarding photographic prints.