The California State Library welcomes your input in improving its website and online services.
Please take our short website survey to let us know how you use the current website, and what you would like to see in a redesigned version. Your comments and feedback will be factored into the new website's design and functionality.
Thank you very much for your time.
State Library staff has prepared the following bibliographies
for use by potential applicants:
"Joint Use" Public/School Library Facilities:
- "Public and School Libraries: Issues and Options of Joint Use Facilities and Cooperative Use Agreements," Christopher Berger, California State Library, 2000.
Facilities Planning Selected Bibliography:
- "Checklist of library building design considerations," Sannwald, William W., Chicago: American Library Association, 1997.
- "Countdown to a new library: managing the building project," Jeannette Woodward, Chicago: American Library Association, 2000.
- "Designing a school library media center for the future," Erikson, Rolf and Carolyn Markuson, Chicago: American Library Association, 2001.
- "Designing and Space Planning for Libraries," Aaron & Elaine Cohen, R.R.Bowker Co., 1979.
- "Determining Your Public Library's Future Size: A Needs Assessment and Planning Model," Lee B. Brawner and Donald K. Beck, Jr., American Library Trustee Association, ALA, 1996.
- "Financing Public Library Buildings," Richard B. Hall, Neal-Schuman Publishers, Inc. 1994.
- "Libraries Designed for Users: A Planning Handbook," Noland Lushington & Willis N. Mills, Jr. AIA, Gaylord Professional Publications, 1979.
- "Library Buildings, Equipment and the ADA," Cirillo, Susan E., editor, Chicago: American Library Association, 1996.
- "Library Facility Siting and Location Handbook," Christine M. Koontz, Greenwood Library Management Collection, Greenwood Press, 1997.
- "Libraries for the future: planning buildings that work," Martin, Ron G., Chicago: American Library Association, 1992.
- "Planning for results: A public library transformation process," Chicago: American Library Association, 1998.
- "Planning Library Buildings and Faculties: From Concept to Completion," Raymond M. Holt, Scarecrow Library Administration Series #9, Scarecrow Press, 1989.
- "The Design of the Small Public Library," Rolf Myller, AIA, R.R. Bowker Company, 1966.
- "Wisconsin Library Building Project Handbook," Raymond M. Holt, 2nd Revised Edition by Anders C. Dahlgren, Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction, Post Office Box 7841, Madison, Wisconsin, 53707-7841,1990.
In addition to the database, the Libris Design web site provides access to a number of publications which can be utilized free of charge by library planners during the compilation of the "General Requirements for the Public Library Building" section of a library building program:
- "Combined School and Public Libraries: Guidelines for Decision Makers," Second Edition, May 1998, Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction.