Library Services and Technology Act
The Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) is a federal grant program that is managed by the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) and administered in California by the State Librarian. As required by LSTA, the California State Library must submit an LSTA 5-Year Plan to the Institute of Museum and Library Services. This plan outlines how the State Library will spend the funds in relationship to the following LSTA priorities:
- expand services for learning and access to information and educational resources in a variety of formats, in all types of library, for individuals of all ages;
- develop library services that provide all users access to information through local, state, regional, national, and international electronic networks;
- provide electronic and other linkages between and among all types of libraries;
- develop public and private partnerships with other agencies and community-based organizations;
- target library services to individuals of diverse geographic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds, to individuals with disabilities, and to individuals with limited functional literacy or information skills; and
- target library and information services to persons having difficulty using a library and to underserved urban and rural communities, including children from families with incomes below the poverty line.
LSTA funding is used each year to support three key areas:
- Statewide initiatives that provide libraries with the opportunity to support their local communities with programs and information services.
- A competitive grant process to provide local libraries with funding to development programs and innovative initiatives.
- Services and access to resources available through the California State Library.
At the end of every LSTA 5-Year Plan an evaluation is done.
View the Evaluation of LSTA funding in California 2006-2011.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding LSTA, please contact us using the information below.
California State Library
Gerry Maginnity, Acting State Librarian of California
900 N Street
Sacramento, CA 95814-4813
FAX (916) 653-8443
(Documents in PDF format can be viewed with the Adobe Acrobat Reader.)