The Historic Library & Courts Building: An Architectural Treasure
The Library & Courts Building located at 914 Capitol Mall is one of the most beautiful state government buildings in California.
On May 24, 1984, the Library & Courts Building was named to the National Register of Historic Places. The building underwent an extensive restoration completed in 2014.
The Library & Courts Building opened in 1928 as part of the "Capitol Extension Group." It faces a twin structure, Office Building Number 1 – re-named in 1987 to honor former Assembly Speaker and State Treasurer Jesse M. Unruh.
Designed by the San Francisco architectural firm of Weeks & Day, both neo-classical structures are located across the street from the State Capitol. A circular drive with a fountain in the middle separates – and connects – the two office buildings.
Both five-story exteriors are clad in Sierra white granite quarried by the McGilvray-Raymond Granite Company in Madera County and granite architectural terra cotta manufactured by Gladding, McBean and Company of Lincoln, Placer County.
On May 24, 1984, the Library & Courts Building was named to the National Register of Historic Places. The building underwent an extensive restoration, completed in 2014.