The mission of the Government Publications Section is to assist California state employees and to support State and Federal Depository Libraries in California in providing the public with free and open access to government information. Providing a single primary location for government documents and information assistance improves government efficiency. Coordinating the efforts of depository libraries in collecting, organizing, preserving, and making available information from the California and U.S. federal governments strengthens a democratic tradition of open government and free access to public information.
The California State Library's government publications collection is the only regional depository of federal government information in California, a full depository for California state government publications, and a Patent and Trademark Resource Center. Our collections include:
- All federal publications distributed by the United States Superintendent of Documents to depository libraries;
- All California state publications distributed under the Library Distribution Act;
- Selected Environmental Impact Reports (EIRs) produced as required by the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA);
- Selected California local government publications;
- Selected publications by other state governments;
- Selected foreign government publications.
Some of our older materials and special-format collections are not included in the Library’s online catalog. Collections not represented in the library’s online catalog include:
- Many pre-1976 federal publications;
- United States patent and trademark information in paper, CD-ROM, DVD, and microform formats, including full patent specifications with images;
- National Technical Information Service (NTIS) reports on microfiche;
- ERIC reports on educational research on microfiche.
We help government employees and members of the public locate government-disseminated information. We also provide one-on-one patent and trademark search training sessions.
Executive Orders and Proclamations
Search for Executive Orders and Proclamations from every governor since California became a state in 1850.
Government Publications Programs and Services
Wine Map of California. Limned by Ruth Taylor White. San Francisco : Wine Advisory Board, 1935.