Día de los Niños/Día de los libros:
Funding Opportunity for California Public Libraries
Contact: Carolyn Brooks
The California State Library is offering an opportunity for selected public libraries to receive funding, on a reimbursement basis, to help support libraries and their communities to engage in Día de los Niños events. The funding is limited to 100 libraries and not all libraries that apply may receive funding.
Día de los Niños is a multicultural experience for young children and their families celebrated in libraries all over California and the US. It focuses on inclusion and promotes culture, language and books for our multicultural/multilingual families. Many of our libraries lack the resources to engage with their families on Día, and this provision of seed funding and resources will assist them in creating their own Día events and activities. One hundred libraries will be eligible to receive $500 towards multicultural programming materials and resources through this funding opportunity.
All public library systems are encouraged to apply. Preference will be given to rural libraries and rural library branches within larger systems.
Please apply by jurisdiction. To apply, the library director or designee must complete this application form by March 25, 2019. Individual branches should not apply.
- One library per jurisdiction will be eligible, with any unfilled allocations used for multiple libraries within systems with highly multicultural populations.
This is a streamlined funding opportunity and is intended to be easy to participate with minimal requirements and reporting.
Required for this project:
– Brief application form
– Submit brief budget outline for approval before purchasing (approved participants, only)
– Registration with the ALA registration site (see link below)
– IMLS participant survey (only 5 questions)
– Reimbursement form (with receipts, original invoices, and delivery packing lists)
Terms and procedures
– Funding will be allocated in the amount of $500 per participating library, to support Día de los Niños-themed events. Events must take place by no later than May 5, 2019 (contact the project coordinator, Carolyn Brooks, for approval for later events). All participating libraries must register their Día de los Niños events by April 15, 2019 on the American Library Association Día de los Niños registration site.
– Community partnerships for your Día event are encouraged but not required.
– Participating libraries will receive their funding on a reimbursement basis. To qualify for reimbursement, purchases must be for the Día de los Niños event and fall under the following categories:
Materials and/or supplies
Materials/supplies must be used for the Día event and must be received by the date of your event.
You may use your funding to pay for local cultural groups and/or storytellers to participate in the event; this is encouraged.
For this funding opportunity, you may purchase multicultural books to use during your program that families may keep for their home libraries after the event has concluded.
Multicultural books may be purchased for your library collections only if they can be shelf-ready by your Día event date, and no later than May 5, 2019.
Promotional materials for your Día de los Niños event
Flyers and event informational literature is approved, however, swag is not eligible for this funding opportunity.
– Contact the project coordinator with questions about eligibility of purchases. No backorders will be allowed.
– Each library must make and receive its purchases by the date of their scheduled event, and then submit a reimbursement form, a list of purchases and associated receipts to the project coordinator by May 17, 2019.
Libraries will be also required to submit original invoices and delivery packing lists with each item/title clearly listed.
Once vetted, the reimbursement requests will be sent to Califa Group for processing. Califa will send the reimbursement funds directly to the libraries or their designated recipients, such as a friends group.
Contact Carolyn Brooks