Shared Vision/Bringing the Library to You Grants
The 2019–20 California state budget contains $8 million for the State Library to provide grants to local public library jurisdictions to implement early learning and after school programs, and to support mobile library solutions. These new grant programs will increase Californians' access to health, educational, workforce and other services, while also increasing the mobility and accessibility of public libraries.
- Interest Form (required, non-binding)
Deadline: February 11, 2020, 11:59 pm
Deadline: April 8, 2020, 11:59 pm. Libraries facing challenges completing the full application by deadline should contact Beverly Schwartzberg.
- Project Information and FAQ
- Grant application reference copy
- Interest form reference copy
- LIPC levels
- Budget template for application
- Partnership template for application
- Timeline template for application
- Grant application certification for application
- Mobile Libraries worksheet
For planning use; do not submit with application
- Mobile Libraries Planning Matrix for application
- Early Learning Planning Matrix for application
- Out-of-School Time Planning Matrix for application
- Sample Report Response for Narrative Report (due Jan. 31, 2021)
- Financial Report
- Financial Report: Demonstration Grant
- Project Start to December 31, 2020 Reporting Form (due Jan. 31, 2021)
Shared Vision Community Partnership Grants for Early Learning and Out-of-School Time Programs — $5 Million
- Early Learning grants ($3 million) will aim to connect children, youth, families and caregivers with the services they need to thrive, by building or enhancing early learning hubs and wraparound services. By further integrating the work of libraries and other community service providers, these grants will help ensure that Californians will be connected to the resources they need where and when they need them. As trusted, stigma-free community hubs, libraries offer a unique setting to strengthen at-risk families, promote wellness and deliver a range of important early learning opportunities.
- Out-of-School Time grants ($2 million): A California child spends six hours a day in a classroom and 10 waking hours outside of one. The average school year lasts 180 days. These grants will focus on supporting and expanding the critical role libraries play for children and teens during the 60 percent of their lives they aren't in school. Funded projects will focus on programs designed to improve and support the social-emotional development of school-aged children, and/or the workplace preparedness of teens, during out-of-school times (after school, weekends, and summer). Projects must also include a component where youth have a leadership voice in designing and implementing activities.
Bringing the Library to You: Mobile Library Solutions Grants — $3 Million
- Bringing the Library to You grants will help libraries implement new ways to bring literacy, technology and other services to those who face challenges visiting their local library. When Californians lack transportation, live far from their library, or work long hours, mobile library solutions make it possible to access library services and programs.
As part of the California State Library's Shared Vision/Bringing the Library to You Grants, Infopeople is producing a series of eight webinars.
- Thursday, January 16, 2020, 10 am: Building Effective and Innovative Partnerships (LibraryWorks webinar with Michele Stricker of the NJ State Library)
- Wednesday, January 22, 2020, 10 am: Opportunities for Implementing Social Emotional Learning in Libraries
- Tuesday, January 28, 2020, 10 am: Early Learning and Wraparound Services
- Thursday, February 6, 2020, 10 am: Understanding Community Needs: A Workshop for Program Planning
- Tuesday, February 11, 2020, 10 am: Active Learning through Play
- Tuesday, February 18, 2020, 10 am: Library Mobile Outreach (Part One): A Practical Guide for Selecting the Correct Vehicle for Your Library
- Thursday, February 20, 2020, 10 am: Library Mobile Outreach (Part Two): A Guide for Selecting the Correct Options and Features for Your New Vehicle
- Monday, February 24, 2020, 10 am: Bringing the Library to You! Mobile Library Solutions Grant (if only I had known…)
- Thursday, March 5, 2020, 10 am: Logic Models: Your Tool to Build Better Outcome-based Programs and Grant
- Tuesday, March 10, 2020, 10 am: Focusing on the Why of Youth and Family Services
Support for these webinars comes from the State of California and the California State Library Shared Vision/Bringing the Library to You funding programs.
Grant Opportunity Webinars
- Bringing the Library to You: Mobile Library Solutions Grants (July 25, 2019, archived version)
- Shared Vision: Early Learning Grants (July 30, 2019, archived version)
- Shared Vision: Out-of-School Time Grants (August 6, 2019, archived version)